Data can help us all understand who the uninsured are, where are they live and work, to help us connect them to coverage and bring Illinois closer to ensuring healthcare for all. These are topics around which information presented at Data Matters has clustered.
Uninsured residents are unevenly distributed across the state. Mapping allows us to see where clusters of uninsured can be found and, as new data becomes available from the American Community Survey, to follow the effects of the changes in access to health insurance.
- Illinois uninsured • Map • Charts
- Illinois Marketplace population • Map • Charts
- Illinois Medicaid population • Map • Charts
- Illinois undocumented • Map • Charts
- Illinois uninsured by census tract • Map • with counties • with legislative districts
- Metro area uninsured • Map • Charts
- Metro area Marketplace population • Map • Charts
- Metro area Medicaid population • Map • Charts
- Metro area undocumented • Map • Charts
- Lake County uninsured • Map • Charts
- Lake County Marketplace population • Map • Charts
- Lake County Medicaid population • Map • Charts
- Lake County undocumented • Map • Charts
In the 2015-16 open enrollment period, signup rates for Illinois PUMAs ranged from 52% of those eligible to 21%; the statewide average is 37%. Most areas with the lowest rates are in or near Chicago.
The vast majority of Illinoisans newly enrolled in health insurance as a result of the ACA have gained coverage through the Medicaid expansion.
- Illinois Medicaid signups • Map
- Mapping Marketplace Enrollment - an interactive graphic from KFF.org
- Health Reform Graphics & Interactives - from KFF.org
- Health Coverage & Uninsured State Health Facts - from KFF.org
- State Health Facts at a Glance: Illinois - from KFF.org
- Health Reform Monitoring Survey - from the Urban Institute Health Policy Center
- Reform by the Numbers - from RWJF.org
- Lessons from Open Enrollment from Enroll America
- Marketplace enrollment reports - from HHS
- Map: Chicago Uninsured Population and Enrollment Assisters - from Enroll America
- Chicago Health Atlas - from the Smart Chicago Collabrative
- ENROLL CHICAGO! A profile of the city's uninsured residents